Wednesday, December 10, 2008

openyourheart…and listen

I’ll attempt not to come off as corny, but today was a good day. I’ve been stressing over a certain situation, and today it was really getting the best of me. After several trivial attempts to get it off my mind, I’d resigned to the idea of going home and crawling under the covers. It was only 2pm. I wrangled myself away from the office, and attempted to accomplish just that. On my way home I indulged in today’s headlines, Blagojevich selling Senate seats, Jesse Jackson Jr. a likely bidder. What the hell was the world coming to? And what the hell am I stressing about when the world is in such discord? It seems kinda selfish now, when I think about it. There are families, losing; everything is spiraling, and there seems to be no real plan of action to stop it. The state of our environment we live in feels like ‘the calm before the storm’. Nothing feels certain anymore. Yet despite it all, my sleeping sheep mentality triggers the exhausted tunnel vision in my mind - and the only person I can think of is me.

Be that as it may, I made it home. And instead of crawling under my fresh linen to bemoan, I opted for the pleasure of speaking with an old friend. We talked for hours, reminiscing on the past and catching up on what’s new; laughing, joking, cutting each other off, eager to hear the updates and status reports. We shared a really good feeling. The kind of feeling you get when you talk to someone you haven’t heard from in a long time, and enjoy every moment of the exchange. For hours we forgot about everything around us, we just talked and listened to each other. (Truly enjoying the sound of someone else’s voice makes me smile.) It was in those moments that this day began to feel perfect. A pleasure indeed.

He reminded me of how large the world is around us, of some of the things, happenings, people and workings of it. It reminded me of how small I am, and how insignificant this thing that I’ve been stressing over is. It was a thoughtful and insightful time, and it made this day awesome. For once I was listening, and I’m excited to reflect on it. :12/10

4 comments:

Sane said...

I bet THAT was nice. Was it someone you used to be sweet on or just an old friend?

BTW, I like the new lay out. Makes me wanna go find a cold glass of sweetened limeade. :)

amusedone said...

girl, it was an old homie. one of my close ones from the university days. had to track tha brutha down...but it was all love when we reconnected. that cat is like family to me ... no chuck woolery love connection poppin' here.

oh, and i see you sane! roastin' on my blogs new summer feel. got jokes eh?! its cool...
tell you what, you bet not change one font size on your blog. otherwise i'm coming after you! lol!

Sane said...

LOL!!!!! Hey crazy! Holla at me on my e-mail so I can help you with your avatar pic.

Tini said...

man you hit this dead on. we do sweat small boooolsh*t and don't even realize it, just glad that everyone has some kind of outlet to recharge themselves and refocus.